- 1 kg/2lb beef
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 leek
- 2 stalks celery
- Half a head of fennel
- 125 ml/4floz red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 4 or 5 spikenard leaves
- 4 or 5 leaves
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 80 ml/3floz red wine
- A pinch of pennyroyal, fresh or dried
- 1 tbsp sapa
- Cut the beef into 2½cm/1" cubes and fry them gently in the olive oil until brown, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Coarsely chop the celery, leek and fennel and add them along with the vinegar and wine to the beef
- Place all this into a large pyrex dish and pour on enough water to cover the ingredients. Put the lid on the dish and place it in an pre-heated oven set at 170°c/330°f/Gas mark 3 for 2 hours.
- Grind the peppercorns and cloves in a bowl. Finely chop the spikenard, and pennyroyal and dd these with the honey, salt and sapa to the stew.
- Stir and leave to marinate for six hours.
- Reheat for 30 minutes in a pre-heated oven aet at 200°c/ 400°f/Gas mark 6 before serving