- 1 boiling chicken
- A pinch of each of the following:
- Pepper, cumin, thyme, fennel seeds, mint, rue
- 1 drop asafoetida essence
- 2 tbsp (30ml) vinegar
- 4 oz (100g) stoned dates
- 1 tbsp (15ml) honey
- 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5ml) anchovy essence
- Put the chicken in a saucepan.
- Cover with water and simmer gently for 2½-3 hours until thoroughly cooked. Dry well.
- Grind the pepper, cumin, thyme, fennel seed, mint and rue in a bowl and moisten with a drop of asafoetida essence.
- Add the vinegar and dates and pound until well blended.
- Stir in the honey, oil and anchovy essence.
- Pour over the chicken and serve either hot or cold.