- Clean the mussels thoroughly and throw away any that are open.
- Place the remaining mussels in a rinsed wide pan and cover closely with a folded damp tea-towel.
- Heat quickly, shaking the pan at intervals, for about 5-7 minutes until the shells open.
- Remove the mussels from their shells, and keep them warm.
- Crush the celery seed, rue, pepper and honey together in a bowl, olive oil and anchovy essence, and put in all this in a pan.
- Blend in the cornflour and bring to the boil stirring all the time, until the sauce thickens.
- Pour over the mussels, sprinkle with pepper and serve.