- 1 partridge
- Pinch of each of the following:
- celery seeds,
- myrtle berries or raisins
- Red wine
- Olive oil
- Anchovy essence
- Place the partridge complete with its feathers in a large pot
- Cover with cold water and simmer gently for about 45 minutes over a low heat.
- Pluck the bird when cooked but still wet. A freshly killed partridge may be plucked first and then braised in the sauce so that it does not get tough.
- To make the sauce, pound together the pepper, lovage, celery seeds, mint, myrtle berries or raisins in a mortar, and then mix them with the wine, vinegar, olive oil, anchovy essence and honey.
- This makes a pleasant cold dressing to serve with the cooked partridge.