- 6 oz/175g dried butter beans
- 1 onion 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek 60ml/2floz white wine
- 3 tbsp wheat flakes
- 1 tbsp garum
- A handful of coriander leaves
- ½ tsp dried dill tops
- ½ tsp dried basil
- 500 ml/1 pint water
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- A pinch of aniseed
- Sea salt
- A handful of fresh parsley (optional)
- Soak the butter beans overnight.
- Boil them in salted water for 30 minutes.
- Take a heavy pan and fry the onion in the olive oil until it is soft, then finely slice the leek and put it in the pan along with all the other ingredients except for the parsley.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer on a very low heat for an hour.
- The wheat flakes will thicken the sauce, as will the beans.
- Chop the parsley and sprinkle it over the sauce just before serving.