- 400g/14oz wholemeal flour
- 300ml/10floz warm water
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 60ml/2floz olive oil
- 2 tsp dried dill tops
- 30g/l oz grated cheddar cheese
- Sea salt
- Dissolve the sugar in a measuring jug with 150ml/5floz of warm water. Stir in the yeast, whisk and cover for 10 minutes
- Put the flour in a mixing bowl, stir in the dill and add a pinch of salt.
- Add the yeast mixture, olive oil and the remainder of the warm water into a dip in the flour.Knead for 5 minutes. Cover the bowl with cling film and put in a warm place to enable the dough to rise.
- Around 2 hours later, the dough should have swelled to double its size. Knead again for another 5 minutes.
- Grease and flour a 16 cm/6" square baking tin. Divide the dough into three equal parts and press the firstinto the bottom of the tin. Sprinkle the dough with one third of the grated cheese. Press the next portion of dough down on top of the cheese, sprinkle this with one third of the grated cheese and then press the last portion of dough down on top of this layer of cheese.
- Put the tin in a plastic bag and leave the loaf to rise in a warm place. After 1 hour it should have twice its original size.
- Bake in an oven pre-heated to 200°c/400°f/Gas mark 6 for 35 minutes. Take out, sprinkle the top with the remainder of the cheese and bake for a further 10 minutes.