- 100g/3 oz basmati (preferably) rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 beef stock cube
- 100g/3 oz goat's cheese
- 20-25 vine leaves
- 1 egg 60 ml/2floz honey
- Sea salt
- Fry the rice in the olive oil for two minutes stirringto ensure the rice does not burn
- Add 1 pint of boiling water, season with salt, turn down the heat and simmer gently with the lid on until the rice has spread and is soft and the rice has taken in all the water
- Remove the pan from the flame.
- Finely dice the cheese and beat the egg and mix thees in with the rice.
- Take a heaped tablespoon of the mixture and lay it on the bottom third of a vine leaf.
- Bring the bottom part of the leaf over the mixture. Fold the sides of the leaf over and then roll the mixture up to the top of the leaf to make a neat bundle. Repeat the process until all the rice has been used. Place the bundles in a pyrex dish.
- Dissolve the stock cube in half a pint of boiling water and pour over the bundles. Put the covered dish in the oven at 170°c/330°f/gas mark 3 for one hour.
- Pour the honey into a largish frying pan. and heat the honey. When it is hot transfer the parcels from the dish to the frying pan. Turn them until the bundles are coated with the honey.
- Remove the bundless and serve.