- 8 oz (225g) whole wheat grains, soaked overnight
- 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil
- 2 cooked brains
- 8 oz (225g) minced meat
- A pinch of:
- fennel seeds
- 1 tsp (5ml) anchovy essence
- 1 tbsp (15ml) wine
- 2 pt (1.1L) stock
- Drain the wheat grains and bring them to the boil in a pan of water.
- Simmer until soft, add the olive oil and continue to cook until thickened to a creamy consistency.
- Mash the brains and minced meat in a bowl, then put in a saucepan.
- Grind the pepper, lovage and fennel seed, and moisten with anchovy essence and wine.
- Add this to the meat in the pan.
- Bring gently to the boil and add the stock, then add this mixture gradually to the wheat, mixing it in by the ladleful, and stir until smooth, to the consistency of thick soup.