Recipe for Leeks with Celery
A main course very popular with the Romans
- 1 bunch fresh celery
- 4 leeks
- Ground pepper
- Vegetable stock
- Celery stock
- Put pieces of celery in water, bring to theboil, then simmer for 15 minutes. Drain and put celery stock aside
- In a fresh saucepan, cook the heads and tender parts of leeks until ¼ of the water has boiled away.
- For the sauce, combine pepper, stock, and honey, and add to strained celery stock.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for ½ hour to reduce
- Put the cooked leeks into a new saucepan and pour the sauce over them.
- Heat the sauce with the leeks and serve.
- The celery stalks may be added, if you wish.