- 100g/3 oz lentils
- 1 onion
- 125 ml/4fl oz red wine
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp dried dill tops
- A sprig of thyme
- A sprig of oregano
- A handful of fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- A pinch of aniseed
- Sea salt
- Thinly slice an onion and fry it gently in olive oil until soft and just turning brown.
- Add 1 pint of water, the red wine and the lentils.
- Grind the cumin and aniseed in a bowl and stir these into the liquid together with the dill.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer, covered, for about 45 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Just before serving, stir in finely chopped thyme and oregano after.
- Garnish with coarsely chopped parsley and serve