- 450 g/1lb white flour
- 400 ml/14 fl oz b
- 1½ tsp dried yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 beaten egg-white
- 4 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp wheat flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp b
- Dissolve the sugar in 150 ml/¼pint of the warm water.
- Sprinkle in the dried yeast, stir and leave to froth for 15 minutes.
- Then add the flour, yeast, olive oil, salt and the rest of the water in a mixing bowl and knead until you have a firm dough.
- Oil a round Cake tin with a diameter of 14 cm/5½"
- Sprinkle the poppy seeds over the oiled sides of the tin so that they are evenly spread.
- Press the dough into the bottom of the tin, cover the tin loosely with a plastic bag and leave in a warm place to rise.
- After 2 hours or so the dough will rise until it flows over the top of the tin. This is where the mushroom shape come sin.
- Remove the plastic bag and brush the top of the loaf with the egg-white. Sprinkle on the wheat flakes.
- Bake the loaf for 40 minutes in an oven at 200°c/400°f/gas mark 6.