- 1-1½pt (0.5-0.8l) mussels per person
- 12 oz (350g) lentils
- 1 onion, chopped
- A pinch of each of:
- cumin seeds
- coriander seeds
- dried mint
- 1 tbsp (15ml) vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15ml) honey
- 1 tbsp (15ml) defructum
- 1 tsp (5ml) anchovy essence
- olive oil
- Clean the mussels thoroughly and throw away any that are open.
- Place the remainder in a rinsed pan and cover closely with a folded damp tea-towel.
- Heat quickly, shaking the pan at intervals, for about 5-7 minutes until the shells open.
- Take the mussels from their shells, removing the beards and crush them in a bowl until they become a paste.
- Put the lentils in a pan of cold water with the onion and bring to the boil. Cook until the lentils are soft.
- Grind the pepper, cumin, coriander, mint, rue and pennyroyal in a bowl, then mix in the vinegar, honey, defructum and anchovy essence
- Pour this mixture into the pan with the lentils.
- Add the mussels to the lentils, and bring them to the boil, stirring regularly.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with a few drops of olive oil.