- 100g/3 oz each of poppy seeds, ground walnuts, ground hazelnuts, ground almonds, dried and stoned dates, dried figs
- 150g/5 oz sesame seeds
- 75g/2½ oz clear honey
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Put the poppy seeds and ground nuts on a baking tray and place under a hot grill for 5 minutes, turning them over occasionallyto prevent them from burning.
- Put the sesame seeds in a bowl.
- Puree the figs and dates in a blender and add the nut mixture and pepper to the dried fruits and blend until they are it looks and feels like a dough.
- Pour the honey into a pan and bring to the boil. Boil for 3 minutes or until the honey begins to darken.
- Blend one-third of the honey into the dried fruit and nut mixture and stir the rest into the sesame seeds.
- Divide the mixture into two balls of equal size. Flour your hands and flatten one of the sesame seed balls into a disc about 25 cm/10" in diameter and put this onto a flat plate.
- Place the nut mixture on top of the sesame seeds and flatten with your hands until the sesame seeds are completely covered.
- Flatten the remaining sesame seed ball with floured hands and position this on top of the cake.
- Leave for one hour to allow the honey to set.