- 200g/7oz cheddar cheese
- 100g/3oz spelt flour
- 1 egg
- Olive oil
- 60g/2oz clear honey
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Grate the cheese and knead it with the flour
- When the mixture feels like breadcrumbs, add the egg and work it into a dough.
- Break off small pieces and roll each of these in your hands, making dough balls about 2 cm/1" in diameter.
- Fill a frying pan to a depth of 2cm/1" with olive oil and heat. When the oil is hot, but before you can se fumes,lower the pastry balls into the oil preferably using a slatted spoon.
- Cook for about 5 minutes until golden brown on the outside.
- Drain the pastry balls and remove excess oil with kitchen roll.
- Heat the honey in a frying pan until it is very thin.
- Pour the poppy seeds onto a plate and roll the balls in the honey until completely coated.
- Transfer to the plate and coat with poppy seeds.
- Serve warm or cold