- 4 oz (100g) shelled pine kernels
- 1 hake fillet per person
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 ib (450g) spinach, cooked to a puree
- 8 oz (225g) cooked, sliced chicken breast
- 4 oz (100g) sliced salami
- 4 hard-boiled and halved eggs
- 8 oz (225g) pork sausages,
- 3 shelled cooked and chopped oysters or 1 can smoked oysters in oil per person,
- 2 oz (50g) grated cheese
- 1 oz (25g) peppercorns
- ½pt (275ml) milk
- A pinch of each of pepper, lovage, celery seeds
- 1 drop asafoetida essence
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Sea urchins, to garnish (if desired)
- Soak the pine kernels, and let them dry.
- Fry the hake fillets.
- Take a shallow ovenproof dish and laythe leeks, celery, spinach puree, chicken, salami, hard-boiled eggs, sausages, oysters and cheese in layers.
- Sprinkle the pine kernels and peppercorns over the top.
- Put the milk in a saucepan, add the pepper, lovage and celery seed, and bring to the boil.
- Add the asafoetida essence and remove from the heat.
- Mix in the beaten eggs, then pour the sauce over the patina and cook in a moderate oven, gas mark 4. (350°f, 180°c)
- If desired, garnish with the sea urchins