- 6 small lettuces
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) bicarbonate of soda
- A pinch of pepper, lovage, celery seeds, dried mint, origano.
- 1 finely chopped onion.
- 1 tbsp (15ml) wine
- 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5ml) anchovy essence
- Plunge the lettuces into a pan of boiling water with the bicarbonate of soda, and simmer for 2 minutes, drain, then chop finely
- Grind the pepper, lovage, celery seed, mint, origano and onion in a bowl.
- Add the wine, oil and anchovy essence.
- Cook gently in a saucepan for 30 minutes, pour over the lettuce, and serve.