A main course very popular with the Romans
- ¼ lb. minced shellfish meats
- Ground pepper
- 1 t. celery seed (or lovage)
- Grated almonds or pine nuts
- 1 raw egg
- Bread crumbs
- Olive oil
- Wine sauce
- To make this dish, peel turnips, and cook until soft. Mash them, and spread the paste on a serving platter.
- Remove the bones from the fish (fillet them) and poach them lightly in stock and a little olive oil.
- Place the cooked fillets on top of the mashed turnips, season with the saffron sauce below, and serve with a sprinkling of pepper
Making the sauce
- For the sauce, grind together cumin and laurel berries or pepper. Combine with white wine, honey, stock, and olive oil or butter.
- Bring to a boil, simmer for 25 minutes, and thicken with flour.
- Add saffron for colour.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked fillets and serve with a sprinkling of vinegar