- 400 g/14 oz strong white flour
- 125 ml/¼ pint warm water
- I½ tsp dried yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 60 ml/2 fl oz olive oil
- 75 ml/3fl oz warm milk
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Dissolve the dried yeast in the warm water, then add the sugar. Leave for 15 minutes until a froth appears on the surface.
- Put the flour in a large bowl, mix in the salt and shape a dip in the centre. Fill this with the yeast water, olive oil and milk.
- Mix the flour and water to make a dough, kneading firmly for about five minutes. Add a little more flour or water if necessary to achieve firm dough.
- Smear a 1lb baking tin with oil and line with flour
- Press the dough into the bottom of the tin. Seal the tin with cling film and stand in a warm place for one hour.
- Bake in an oven at 200°c/400°f/gas mark 6 for about 40 minutes. The loaf will have a pale crust and a soft body.