- 1 lettuce
- 150 ml/5floz red wine
- 30g/l oz lard or vegetable fat
- 300 g/10 oz spelt flour
- Black pepper olive oil for frying
- Mash the lettuce in a blender with the red wine and vegetable fat.
- When the lettuce is mainly juice, add the spelt flour and continue to blend until a soft dough has been made. Season with plenty of black pepper.
- Working on board sprinkled with flour, flatten the dough until it is as thin as possible. If possible, try not to use a rolling pin as this can lead to holes in the dough.
- Dust the top of the dough with flour. Then using a pastry cutter, cut out the fritters.
- Heat three tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan and fry the fritters, turning often so they are evenly brown on both sides. Drain the fritters on kitchen paper when cooked.
- Grind a black pepper over the fritters before serving.