- T-bone beef steaks, or pork chops, or leg steaks of pork or mutton
- A pinch of:
- 1 tsp (5ml) anchovy essence
- 2 tbsp (30ml) passum
- Bone the meat, roll up the pieces, tie together with string and put in the oven to seal at gas mark 7, 425t (220°c) for about 10 minutes
- Remove the steaks from oven and put under a low grill, taking care not to burn them.
- Pound the pepper, lovage and cumin in a bowl and blend with the anchovy essence and passum.
- Put the meat in a pan with this sauce and simmer gently until completely cooked.
- Remove the meat from the pan with a slotted spoon and serve without the sauce, sprinkled with pepper.