- 8 oz (225g) whole pine kernels
- 4 oz (100g) shelled almonds
- 4 oz (100g) chopped mixed nuts
- 1 oz (25g) peppercorns
- 1 hare
- 2 eggs, beaten
- A pinch of:
- 1 small, chopped onion
- 4 oz (100g) stoned dates
- 1 tsp (5ml) anchovy essence
- 2 tbsp (30ml) spiced wine
- Mix together the pine kernels, almonds, chopped mixed nuts, peppercorns and the chopped giblets of the hare.
- Bind this mixture with the eggs and use it to stuff the hare.
- Wrap the hare in baking foil and roast in the oven at gas mark 5, 375t (190°c) for 1-1½ hours until tender.
- For the sauce, put the rue, pepper, chopped onion, dates, anchovy essence, spiced wine and the juices from the roast hare in a saucepan.
- Let this boil gently until thickened, then pour over the hare.