- 10 Fresh Sardines or Anchovies
For the stuffing
- Pinch of ground pepper
- Pinch of celery seed (or lovage)
- Pinch of thyme
- Pinch of oregano
- Pinch of rosemary (or rue)
- Finely chopped dates
- 3 Hard boiled eggs
- Garum to taste
- Open the sardines and remove the backbones.
- Make the stuffing by combining the other ingredients (except the eggs and garum) mix well.
- Stuff the sardines and wrap individually large leaves
- Steam gently. When done unwrap the sardines and arrange on a platter.
- Decorate with the sliced eggs and sprinkle with garum.